The Student Award of Merit aims to recognize the regard for excellence demonstrated by certain engineering students, members of the Student Section of the Order, whose academic results and commitment to society and their community are a testament to the values of the profession. In 2022, five University Merit Awards will be presented to undergraduate ($ 7,500, $ 5,000 and $ 3,000), graduate ($ 7,500) and graduate ($ 7,500) students.
Student Award of Merit – Undergraduate
At the time the application is submitted, the candidate must:
- Have completed the scholarship application form;
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- Be a member of the Student Section of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec;
- Be enrolled in a full-time engineering program at a school or faculty in Québec that is recognized by the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec as giving access to the permit issued by the OIQ (see Appendix A at the bottom of this page to view the list of degrees and educational establishments recognized by the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec);
- Previous Student Award of Merit recipients may not reapply;
- Agree to receive, from time to time, from the Foundation an informational e-mail concerning the programs and/or those of our partners (for example offers of internships, jobs or services).
Submission of application
To submit your application, you must be a member of the Student Section of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec. If you have not yet registered, it’s easy, fast and free. Click here. Once you have your Student Section member number.
The application deadline is November 30, 2021. All candidates who submit a complete application will receive a response. For information, contact us at 183 FOIQ FOIQ (1 833 647-3647).
- The application form, duly completed and signed;
- Proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent residency;
- Proof of enrollment in a full-time engineering program at a school or faculty in Québec that is recognized by the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec as giving access to the permit issued by the OIQ;
- Text describing a project carried out over the course of your studies that illustrates your leadership qualities and sense of professionalism;
- Curriculum vitæ (including jobs held and extracurricular activities);
- A letter of support written by a third party;
- Recent transcript of the grades obtained in your engineering program and, if applicable, grades obtained in other university programs of study.
At an official ceremony, the five winners will receive their prizes and a plaque attesting to their merit. Payment will be made in two installments: 75% upon obtaining the Prize, 25% after registration on the membership roll of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec. The winners have a maximum period of 5 years from the date of delivery to claim the balance of their prize.
A call for applications is launched on each campus.
Each application must include all required documents.
Each application will be evaluated according to the fundamental values of the profession, including competency, responsibility, sense of ethics and social commitment.
Four criterias will be examined:
- 40% – Quality of the academic record
- 25% – Leadership, involvement social commitment
- 20% – Professionalism: leadership, initiative, ability to work in a team, respect for others, integrity, ethics, creativity, problem solving, likes a job well done, listening; qualities highlighted in the text presented and in the letter of recommendation
- 15% – Quality of the language and presentation of the application for the Prize
Within each university establishment, a finalist is chosen by a jury. Subsequently, a provincial jury selects the five winners.
The application must be submitted in its entirety; no documents will be accepted after the deadline has passed.
- Faxes, emails and Internet transcripts will not be accepted;
- Selected candidates must prove that they are Quebec residents. The address that appears on the transcript is sufficient proof;
- Recipients of a Student Award of Merit may not apply for the award a second time;
- Exam results must be available at the time of application;
- The Foundation of the OIQ reserves the right not to award the prize.
Each engineering department or school has a faculty representative for the OIQ. This engineering professor can provide additional information about the Student Award of Merit and answer any other questions you may have about your future professional order. To see a complete list of faculty representatives, click here.